Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Some Quotes

1. One of LeVine's pictures, later presented in court, showed Morrison with his hand near the crotch of his pants. ''Never saw him expose himself, though,'' LeVine said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/09/1917262/fla-clemency-board-considers-pardon.html#ixzz14tGMRmRv

This quote just works because it plays off of the picture and it illustrates that there is doubt as to the nature of the incident in question. It’s also short and funny which is important in piece that is light in nature.

2. “I was up at 3:30 in the morning working on this," says Siffin, who has cropped gray hair, intense gray eyes, and wears a striped green shirt with a tightly knotted tie. "It's been driving me nuts."

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-11-04/news/mark-siffin-times-square-in-miami/

This quote is just great. It doesn’t provide the reader with any substantive information. It’s there to give a sense of character and place. I also like quotes that work in two parts. Here you have an initial quote, a description, and then a finishing quote.

3. Even Mr. Sanford concedes he was “very, very close” to resigning. “I wanted to curl up,” he said. “I wanted to go down to my farm in Beaufort County and never see another TV for the rest of my life.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/10/us/politics/10sanford.html?_r=1&hp

This quote look good in the article, but now that I look at it in the abstract it looks even better. The quote gives a vivid description of the subject’s feelings. The execution is great as well. I like how it separated “I wanted to curl up,” and then went on to another quote. It would seem that the quotes may have been close in time, but that may not be case.

No comments:

Post a Comment