Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Great Story with Direct Lede

$18 Million to Man Wrongly Imprisoned


A Bronx man who was imprisoned for more than two decades on a rape conviction before being cleared by DNA evidence was awarded $18.5 million by a jury on Tuesday.

This story almost speaks for itself, so a direct lede was definitely the way to go. I have come to realize that the choice between a direct or delayed lede often times depends on what the story is. This kind of news seems like it would be an automatic hook and therefore, it may not be too beneficial to come up with some other content to place in the first sentence.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. Moreover, I really like the quote from Newton "I'll jump into it with both arms" referring to the legal help he's preparing to provide to people convicted wrongly. Although I was waiting to hear something like an apology from the officials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At a glance, I couldn't get the gist of the lead's content and had to read it slowly for the second time. I personally feel it's too wordy, I am more comfortable with lead under 25 words - a rule that had stuck with me ever since a lecturer mentioned it. But I do agree that the lead contains every essential detail and tells a reader right away what the story is all about.

    ReplyDelete