Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lede with descriptive verbs

The AP article "Indonesia's volcanic eruption claims 25 lives" posted on indianexpress.com uses descriptive verbs to report the volcanic eruption on Wednesday in Indonesia. The lede is phrased as, "Rescuers scoured the slopes of Indonesia's most volatile volcano on Wednesday after it was rocked by an eruption that spewed clouds of searing ash, killing at least 25 villagers including an old man known as the mountain's spiritual gatekeeper."

The verbs, "scoured", "rocked", and "spewed" gave my mind vivid images as I was reading the lede. The choice of verbs also made me feel the intensity of the volcano. Because the article captured my senses, it automatically made me feel connected to the event although I live on the other side of the world from it. Making a connection made it personal and I wanted to know more about it. For me, it's a good lesson on the power of using descriptive verbs to capture the reader's senses in a Lede.


No comments:

Post a Comment