Friday, December 10, 2010

A high-impact story, but structure?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/world/europe/11nobel.html?hp

A hard-to-believe story in this age about how a country can be so opposed to democracy.

I saw a differently structured story in the afternoon which did not contain Liu speaking about his wife. Understandable in digital media. But in terms of structure, this story could have been better organized. Although the lede is a typical hard-news opening, I was jarred by Liu speaking about getting strength in prison from his wife interrupted by Obama's take on the incarceration back to the fact that Ullmann (a Norwegian actress) read Liu's sentence appeal -- a hint of which was given higher in the story--As if to get in Obama's important views somewhere in the story and to force-fit an end to the story with a quote from Liu:

"He tells how he is sustained by his wife’s love — “the sunlight that leaps over high walls and penetrates the iron bars of my prison window, stroking every inch of my skin, warming every cell of my body, allowing me to keep peace, openness and brightness in my heart.” He went on to say,“Even if I were crushed into powder, I would still use my ashes to embrace you.”

President Obama, who won the peace prize last year, issued a statement saying Mr. Liu was “far more deserving of this award than I was,” and calling for his release “as soon as possible.”

In city hall, the audience was moved by Ms. Ullmann’s solemn reading of Mr. Liu’s words.

“Freedom of expression is the foundation of human rights, the source of humanity, and the mother of truth,” Mr. Liu’s statement said. As for “China’s endless literary inquisitions,” he said: “I hope I will be the last victim.”

1 comment:

  1. I definitely have to agree with you! The story is so powerful all on its own. The quotes by Liu are amazing because he is very articulate, moving and insightful as a writer. But the journalist could have done an infinitely better job in writing the story. The entire story is very fragmented. In fact, its not much of a story; it's more like a collection of quotes and random information placed in paragraphs -- one after another. very interesting information and wonderful quotes, but no progression of thought!

    ReplyDelete