Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Upper Crust Under Fire

This story is from Sunday's front page of the Boston Globe. It's a longer, much more in-depth exposé of the story I had envisioned writing for my final project.

I don't disagree with the perspective, but it does seem a wee bit unbalanced. I want to hear more from the owners, who may be remaining mum (and wisely so?) in the midst of a lawsuit.

Overall, I liked the story, but some of the information seems taken for granted to underscore the writer's pro-worker angle.

For example, I find this passage questionable:

"Meanwhile, in dusty Marilac, some fear a reliable source of income used to build farms and businesses and houses will vanish. Others say the village will be better off without the pizza money and the sacrifices it requires."

Who says that? Where is Abelson getting this information? It is a bold, yet vaguely attributed, claim. I think a direct quote would give it much more credibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment